The Steerage, 1907 Photogravure, 12 5/8 x 10 3/16″ (32.2 x 25.9 cm). © 2010 Estate of Alfred Stieglitz / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Renowned photographer Stieglitz first studied photochemistry with Hermann Wilhelm Vogel at the Technische Hochschule in Berlin, from 1882-1886, and took his first photographs in 1883. He continued to travel and photograph in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland until 1890, when he returned to New York City. From 1890 to 1895 he was a partner in a photogravure firm. During this time he concentrated on photographing the streets of New York City. In 1894, Stieglitz travelled to Europe and was elected a member of the Linked Ring, a pictorialist society in London. In 1902, Stieglitz founded the Photo-Secession Movement which attempted to prove that pictorialist photography was a fine art form. From 1903 to 1917, Stieglitz was publisher and director of Camera Work magazine. The graphic section was run by Edward Steichen (1879-1973). In 1905, Stieglitz opened the Little Galleries of the Photo-Secession “291” on Fifth Avenue in New York City with Steichen. The galleries operated until 1917. In 1907, Stieglitz exhibited his autochrome photographs. Stieglitz stopped photographing in 1937. During his lifetime, Stieglitz was also a close friend and collaborator of Joseph T. Keiley. Together they invented the glycerine process which permitted partial development of platinum papers. Also, they produced joint research on the history of photography. Keiley also acted as the associate editor of Stieglitz’s publications “Camera Notes” and “Camera Works”. American photographer.